Saturday, June 7, 2008

CALIFORNICATION!

Most of you know by now, I have come home to Vancouver from Kauai for the summer to visit family & friends, do some contract work and focus on a career change... That said, leaving my paradise island wasn't easy, but I thought "hey - it will be summer - right?!"

I envisioned sipping cocktails on a patio in English Bay, Seawall biking, Second Beach swimming maybe even some North Shore hiking but NOoo... I am very much indoors, fighting my 3rd cold in less than a month and dividing my time writing, doing hot yoga to warm my numb bum and catching up on the movies and televison I missed in 2007.

My new obsession is Californication! My good friend Dave, said I would love it and he has never steered me wrong. Here is a clip from the Season Premier:



Okay that was a TAD dark... maybe it matches my mood induced by the weather BUT as a fan of Elton John, David Dochovny (who I have forgiven for dissing Vancouver, maybe because I'm in the midst of a rant about the rain myself) and of course - tragically flawed male characters with a heart seeking redemption, I LOVE this series... It's not dark really - truly, I watched all 12 episodes in one - 6 degree day (that's 48 degrees for my American friends), I couldn't get enough and can't wait for the second season!

The writing is superb and the acting well, Dochovny won a Golden Globe for his portrayal of novelist Hank Moody, "who struggles to balance his often-crazy life with raising his 13-year-old daughter, while still harboring feelings for his ex-girlfriend. This series follows his obsession with truth-telling and his self-destructive behavior as both alternately destroy and enrich his career."

I predict this is going to be the Sex & The City for both married and single MEN. The boy-banter is as quick as the Gilmore Girls but as dirty as Nip Tuck... Any gals out there tired of summer sitcom reruns or the romantic comedy of the month, download it now... you could learn a thing or two about how men talk and act when you're not around - brutal but entertaining. Bonus, you'll arm yourself with the knowledge of the meaning of some of the character's made up words, which I guarantee you will be hearing around the water cooler this fall - like "broner" ;P

P.S. IMDB Trivia...
References are made to actors from the TV show "Dawson's Creek" (1998). Katie Holmes is referenced along with real-life husband Tom Cruise in the movie 'A Crazy Little Thing Called Love' based on Hank's book. James Van Der Beek is referenced on a wedding invitation card that reveals Karen's last name to be 'Van Der Beek'. Writers/Executive Producers Tom Kapinos and Gina Fattore both worked on "Dawson's Creek" (1998).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.