Tuesday, June 3, 2008

LABELS - I've had a few... What's next?!

Premie
Daughter
First Grandchild
Princess
The New Girl
Older Sister
Drive-thru Girl
Trish the Dish
Shop Girl
Retail Manager
Apparel Design College Student
Valley Girl
Snow White
Expo Tour Hostess
Tourism BC Representative
Cruise Ship Stewardess
Caucasian
Patring /Patrish /Patrushka
Illustrator
Display Artist
Autocad Programmer
Fitness Instructor 
Fitness Trainer
Director of Visual Merchandising
Film Industry Dresser & Buyer
Pookie
Blissful Bride
Conflicted Wife
Wedding Planner, Coordinator & Consultant
Entrepreneur Program Risk Analysist
Relieved Divorcee
Hotel Concierge
Writer & Researcher
Mrs. Robinson
Restaurant Hostess
Whistler Blackcomb Volunteer
Boutique Hotel Manager
Traveler & Explorer
Canadian
Cheese Taste Tester
Freelance Writer
Fabulous Forty Year Old
Rabbit Stories Blogger
Closet Script Writer
Property Manager
Mainlander
Haolie
Business Partner
New Possibilities...

The thing about labels is they are not me? I was given most of these... Some are just roles I played. They are all just descriptions. Descriptions of my gender, my appearance, my nationality, my functions, my state of being, my hobbies, my skills, my professions but who am I really?

I was at a place of asking myself that question back in 1992 when I met my ex-husband. It's funny when you are searching for answers and someone crosses your path offering new possibilities how you don't realize how vulnerable you are. That path I took led to a lot of different labels... none of which I regret, but now I have come full circle and am once again asking the question "Who am I"?

I was once asked, "What did I WANT to do?" and I responded, "I want to be ME." Not satisfied with this answer, I was then asked, "How do I want to make a LIVING?" and I responded that, "I wanted to be paid to BE - ME!"

It's apparent by my various job titles and actual careers that I most definitely am employable... That said, my present break from a 9-5 reality, with the loving support of my family and friends is to give me time to just BE and realize my goal - to be paid to BE - ME! I feel blessed and grateful to have the time and opportunity for such a journey, thank-you to you all!

xo P.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where is Valley Girl on the list?