Sunday, February 10, 2008

Surfer Girls...

This afternoon as I stayed inside - forced by the rain... (Apparently it only rains 70" of rain a year here in the North Shore of Kauai but it feels like we have had at least half of that this month alone!) I turned on TV to see if there were any movies to listen to while I made pizza dough (a rainy day tradition held over from Vancity) and lowen behold Blue Crush was on the USA Channel.

I hadn't seen this film since I was on a cross country road trip with my family... We were heading to Ontario in my Dad's Motorhome for my Grandmother's 90th birthday and I purchased this DVD at some truck stop in the Midwest.

If you haven't seen it... The tagline is, "Take The Risk, Feel The Rush".

It's about a North Shore (Oahu) local girl named Ann Marie (Kate Bosworth, who now that I know the local deal - needed a voice coach - there was not one word of pidgin spoken in the whole movie), who is a hotel housekeeper at a luxury hotel and while training for a Surfing Competition falls for a football playing hotel guest and questions her commitment due in part to her fear of a previous near drowning incident.

IMDB's
Plot line reads:

Nothing gets between Anne Marie and her board. Living in a beach shack with three roommates including her rebellious younger sister, she is up before dawn every morning to conquer the waves and count the days until the Pipe Masters Surf Competition. Having transplanted herself to Hawaii with no one's blessing but her own, Anne Marie finds all she needs in the adrenaline-charged surf scene ... until pro quarterback Matt Tollman comes along. Like it or not, Anne Marie starts losing her balance - and finding it - as she falls for Matt. Written by Schleppy

All I can say is - I enjoyed it... it's light and fun. The Girl Power message is worthy plus the filming of the surfing scenes is awesome - on and under the water... If it's been a while since you have been tossed around the big blue sea - this is the next best thing!

If you are interested in really learning the ropes and you are land-locked at the moment, I suggest reading, "Surfer Girl; A Guide to the Surfing Life" by Sanoe Lake. Sanoe (which means "Mist of the Mountains") was the only gal in this film (she played Lena) who was and is indeed a surfer! Bonus she is from Kauai! She was taught by her mother: Laola Lake. The book is great and better than a lot of the fluff out there! Enjoy the ride... Aloha. P.
.

No comments: