Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I choose... STEVE MARTIN!

YUP I do... and I stand by my choice! You know that game that us mere mortals play (made famous on Friends) "If you could be with any celebrity who would you choose?" I choose Steve.

My crush started when I was 11 sneaking down to our basement on a Saturday night to sit 6 inches away from the TV (so as not to wake my parents) to watch Saturday Night Live... It was 1976 and they had hit their stride in their 2nd season with that immortal cast of characters made famous by the likes of... Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtin, Bill Murray, Laraine Newman & who could forget Gilda Radner. They were all great, but it was the guest host named Steve Martin who I absolutely LOVED! I even went out on Halloween as King Tut.

When I was 13 I was at a pajama party where a girlfriend's older brother had Steve's live comedy album named "Let's Get Small"! I remember staying up to the wee hours making my friends so... sick saying, "Excuuuussseee ME!"

The year I turned 15 'The Jerk" came out - an instant classic! My father (my movie partner) never got Steve's adolescent humour - maybe because they are the same age - and while he was living a life of responsibilities, Steve was having the time of his life making a living being as my father would say, "a bum"!

I've always been attracted to clever, witty, silly, musical, comical men who tend to entertain on the surface but beneath the "fun guy" seemingly shallow exterior - lies a deeper, thoughtful, sensitive and artistic soul. He fits the bill and I think he is lovely. Well as you can see this infatuation has lasted decades and one day I hope to have a full circle moment and meet this man that has entertained me and millions for years.

I could list his countless movies - but the last decade I have followed his passion for Art Collecting (Art History was one of my favourite subjects in College) and his successful writing career. Between his archived New Yorker Articles and his books: Pure Drivel, Shop Girl (which is a quirky character driven little gem of a film - if you are into that kind of thing - I am ;P, The Pleasure of My Company and now my new favorite:
This was an entertaining read... Part biography, part show business history and part how to story on becoming a successful rule breaking comedian in the 70's Comedy Scene.

So there you have it - my secret crush is out...

Anyone out there with six degrees of separation to the man, feel free to forward my interest ;P.

No comments: