Thursday, February 7, 2008

Across the Universe!

Okay... If you haven't seen this film - DO! It is magical... really, truly! Have no fear - it's NO Hairspray!

"Across the Universe sweeps you up on a wave of terrific Beatles Songs." Peter Travers, Rolling Stone.

"It's the kind of movie you watch again, like listening to a favorite album." Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times.

2007 Golden Globe Nominee for BEST PICTURE.

2007 Academy Award Nominee COSTUME DESIGN.

I loved, Loved, LOVED this film!!! I saw it twice in the theatre - the first time I was overwhelmed with it's brilliance. The second time (a Special Christmas Eve Matinee - thanks for being "open" Mr. T.) was the best! A sold out show - with more than 1/2 of the audience having seen it before... We laughed at the jokes before the punch lines... We hummed, sang and by the end wiggled in our seats - it was a Community Event - sharing the roller coaster ride of emotions induced by the ART that is this film.

Would you expect anything less from Julie Taymor the Director of the Award Winning & Oscar Nominated Frida (2002).

PLOT:
A love story set against the backdrop of the 1960s amid the turbulent years of anti-war protest, mind exploration and rock 'n roll, the film moves from the dockyards of Liverpool to the creative psychedelia of Greenwich Village, from the riot-torn streets of Detroit to the killing fields of Vietnam. The star-crossed lovers, Jude (Jim Sturgess) and Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood), along with a small group of friends and musicians, are swept up into the emerging anti-war and counterculture movements, with "Dr. Robert" (Bono) and "Mr. Kite" (Eddie Izzard) as their guides. Tumultuous forces outside their control ultimately tear the young lovers apart, forcing Jude and Lucy – against all odds – to find their own way back to each other. Sony Website.

The first person I called to share my excitement was my Dad - the man who inspired my love of film! I so... wanted him to go see it and tell me what he thought. He said, he had a hard time finding it, when I realized that it was actually released on the mainland in September! (Kauai didn't get it till December... That said, it turned out that according to IMDB that it was only released on 30 screens! How shocking... I figure there was a political conspiracy behind this due to it's anti-war message.) I awaited nervously to hear my Dad's critique, hoping upon hope that the generational gap that I've started to notice since he turned 60 was in fact just a gap and not a canyon... He called and he LOVED it too!!! I was so happy... we relived it on the phone for about an hour! He compared it to Tommy for the music and Moulon Rouge for imaginative Art Direction. 

It was a Very Merry Christmas indeed! I was given the Soundtrack and spent the week between the holidays listening to it over and over again - I felt like I was back in high school obsessing about an Album - too FUN!

Last week the DVD came out - Complete with hours of Special Features. Don't walk - RUN out and get this - if you've ever trusted me before, do it once again! And remember ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE!  Xo P.

P.S. For more information log onto Sony's Official Across the Universe.
.

No comments: