Sunday, October 12, 2008

Word of the Day: HAOLE

hao·le        [hou-lee, -ley] 
–noun
1.(among Polynesian Hawaiians) a non-Polynesian, esp. a Caucasian.
2.(formerly) a foreigner.
Origin: 1835–45

I never minded being called a "haole" when I was here in Kauai, though a local friend, of Hawaiian decent, told me that she would never call me that and that I should certainly never call myself it either... 

It turns out the reason behind her rejection of this "label" was because it actually means: Hollow - referring to having No Soul... This is what the Polynesians labeled the "white man" back in the day as they saw their people dying of small pox, their culture being surpressed and their land being taken away.

I agree with my girlfriend - this label is not for me - nor is it for the majority of expats I have met along my path in the present and in the past who reside on the island. 

That said, the other day as I was driving down the Kuhio Hwy to grocery shop in town, I followed a rental vehicle whose passengers - to my surprise - opened their window and at 50 miles an hour threw out their garbage! Hmm... I tell you, I thought of a few other choice words I could use to label such disrespectful behavior. 

Lately I have noticed an island initiative to educate the masses... Since I left, signs have popped up requesting visitors to pack out their trash from beaches, to not stand on the reef and to observe the local courtousy of waiting for 5-7 cars to cross one of the many one lane bridges. I applaud this gracious attempt to "educate" the unmindful rather than become embittered towards the tourists.

So here's a question: Are you a good traveler? When you are on vacation would you consider yourself a conscious or an unconscious guest?

Often as a Hotel Manager I would encounter guests who would say things like, "It's not my responsibility, I'm on vacation!", when being confronted about damage to their suite, excessive cleaning charges and even about their choice to not recycle. 

In my opinion this does not constitute a "good traveler" and thankfully it is not my experience of all guests and tourists. So here is to all those who board planes for an experience beyond their own who are considerate, kind and caring to the people, the land and the properties they visit. Well done! P.


No comments: