Saturday, March 13, 2010

What I've learned this year... as a Writing Student.

  • That I am where I am supposed to be. This is my purpose. I love story. And learning the craft of story telling is the most amazing, challenging, frustrating and satisfying experience I've had to date.
  • That my most productive hours for writing are the first 4 hours of my day.
  • That my least productive hour of the day is between 2-3pm. I look forward to the day when I don't have to caffeinate myself to get through this time, and I can have a siesta.
  • That in the evening, after dinner... I'm pretty much brain dead and love to just turn off and be entertained. Not entertain others, big difference. Which is why I have been more unsociable this year more than any.
  • That what I am paying for most in school is the deadlines, so I no longer complain about them.
  • That not ever idea, thought, story is worth telling.
  • That as an adult student, I work harder than I ever did when I was in college twenty years ago. That said, I don't know if I recommend the practice - in general - of kids going straight off to school without any life experience. That said, there certainly are some gifted souls who know their path, and I only wish I had had such foresight.
  • That being overloaded with classes is not conducive for quality work. Hence I have reduced my electives, which is unfortunate but realistic.
  • That lounging is a luxury. After having only two realities - sitting in a chair writing or laying down sleeping. Having the in between - a couch, or lounge chair is a future goal.
  • That you can go to school full time and work, but it is the last thing I would ever recommend.
  • That I don't have time to grocery shop or cook when juggling this schedule. Pre-packaged meals are the way to go, (thank God for Deli's), to not break stride or burn up time that I don't have to waste.
  • That when in school time flies, when out - it crawls.
  • That I can't have a social life while juggling school, homework and a part time job. I really can't, if I am not doing one of those three things, I am sleeping.
  • That sometimes I just need a hug, and I am thankful that between school, work and life, there are more than enough people to oblige me :)
  • That vitamins are crucial when you don't have the luxury of time to be sick. I tend to be one of those people who stores up my colds. When I have time, I will be bed ridden :{
  • That the people who know me well, don't take my absence personally. I am thankful and grateful for offers to connect, but hope they understand that while I am writing my stories for the masses, I can't be the "story teller" I once was. Mostly, I hope they will still be around when I surface from this year.
  • That seeing friends when my view of the world is a "glass half empty" isn't good for anyone. I've been on such a roller coaster ride this year that I tend to hibernate when things aren't going well - better for everyone involved :P.
  • That shifting gears mid life is not for the faint of heart. This has been the hardest year of my life to date, and I am thankful for my reality of few responsibilities to afford me the opportunity to take on this challenge.
  • That though I do not have a home, I will never be homeless.
  • That if you ask, you shall receive. I have made so many requests of those in my life this year, and I am still surprised when people have generously been available with their time and spirit.
  • That it takes a village. I have several people in my life who have supported me this year - Financially, Physically, Emotionally and Spiritually. Some of who have even been kind enough to share a meal with me, when I've had a rare moment off to enjoy their company. Heaven!
  • That the rain doesn't last forever and neither will this reality!
A note to those in my life... I don't know what I would have done without you all. I feel blessed to have you in my life and enrolled in my dream. I hope to make you proud sooner than later, and share any successes that may come. To my friends and family, I thank-you from the bottom of my heart!
Xo P.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I <3 YOU!!!

barb said...

what a great entry.. Things we all take for granted. Power to you for taking this tough year and slaying it.

Craig said...

Fair play Patricia. Keep moving forward.

trace said...

You remind us that we're only human and we go through our own roller coasters.. but that in the end we come to valuable realizations and learn from it all. you're an inspiration for good times and bad :) we're already proud!