Sunday, November 8, 2009

Bridges of Madison County - 1995

This film was on today while I worked on my first draft of Treading Water about a small town girl who leaves her ordinary world and boards a cruise ship... There is a scene in this film that strikes a chord with me, because I've had this conversation before. Here's an example of great writing:
CUT BACK TO:
1965   INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT
Francesca sips her brandy. Robert sits in the easy chair.         
FRANCESCA 
Do you mind if I... ask you why you got divorced?        
ROBERT    
Not at all. I wasn't around much... So why did I get married? Well, I thought it was a good idea at the time. Have a home base. Roots. You can get lost moving around so much.         
FRANCESCA    
So what happened?         
ROBERT    
I never got lost. For some reason, I'm more at home everywhere than at one place. So I decided I'll think of myself as some kind of world citizen. I belong everywhere and nowhere. I'm kin to everyone, and no one in particular. See, once you get into the habit of not needing anyone, it's kind of hard to break.         
FRANCESCA    
You must get lonely at times.         
ROBERT    
Never touch the stuff. I've got friends all over the world. Good friends I can see when I want, if I want.         
FRANCESCA    
Woman friends, too?         
ROBERT    
I'm a loner, I'm not a monk. 
Francesca averts her eyes, before continuing her investigation.         
FRANCESCA
You really don't need anyone?         
ROBERT    
No, I think I need everyone! I love people. I want to meet them all! I just think there are too many out there saying "This is mine." or "She's mine." Too many lines have been drawn. World's breaking apart because of man's weakness for some testosterone conquests over territory and power and people. He wants control over what deep down he knows he has no control over whatsoever and it scares him silly.         
FRANCESCA    
Why doesn't it scare you?         
ROBERT    
I embrace Mystery. I don't know what's coming. And I don't mind.        
FRANCESCA
    Do you ever regret it? The divorce, I mean.           
ROBERT
No.           
FRANCESCA    
Do you ever regret not having a family?         
ROBERT    
Not everybody's supposed to have a family.         
FRANCESCA    
But -- how can you just live for what you want? What about other people?         
ROBERT    
I told you, I love other people.         
FRANCESCA    
But no one in particular.         
ROBERT    
No. But I love them just the same.         
FRANCESCA    
But it's not the same.         
ROBERT    
That's not what you're saying. I know it's not the same. What you're saying is, it's not as good. Or it's not as normal or proper.         
FRANCESCA    
No, I'm just saying --         
ROBERT (interrupting) 
I'm a little sick of this American Family Ethic everyone seems to be hypnotized by in this country. I guess you think I'm just some poor displaced soul doomed to roam the earth without a self-cleaning oven and home movie.         
FRANCESCA (irritated) 
Just because someone chooses to settle down and have a family doesn't necessarily mean they're hypnotized. Just because I've never seen a gazelle stampede doesn't mean I'm asleep in the world.
ROBERT  
Do you want to leave your husband? Francesca is completely stunned and thrown off guard.         
FRANCESCA    
No. Of course not. 
(rising, upset) 
Beat. 
Awkward silence. 
Suddenly there is tension between them.         
ROBERT    
My mistake. I apologize.         
FRANCESCA    
What made you ask such a question?         
ROBERT    
I thought that's what we were doing -- asking questions.      
FRANCESCA (defensive) 
I thought we were just having a conversation. You seem to be reading all this meaning into it. Meanings I must be too simple to, uh... interpret or something.         
ROBERT    
I already apologized. 
Silence. 
Robert remains seated. 
Francesca remains at the sink. 
(cont'd) 
It's getting late. 
(rises) 
Thank you for dinner. 
If you recall... later in the film Francesca calls Robert on his bullshit... because it's all a lie - no one wants to be alone, I agree. P.

No comments: