Sunday, December 28, 2008

Integrity of Word

As the year closes, I find myself looking back and thinking about what matters. One thing that is important to me is my integrity of word. 

This is why I am challenged by the lack of this amongst my community. Maybe it's due to being on "island time" over the last few months, but when I say I am going to be some where at some specific time, I mean it. Here in the city, people's plans change on a dime. Everything appears to be "penciled in" unless confirmed once and even twice, no plan is set in stone. 

Three times now I have made plans and due to my communication challenges of late, I have shown up on time only to be stood up. I have learned there is a silent understanding amongst my friends that you need to double check that you are a priority. Is this a sign of the times? Are we no longer expected to be dependable? Reliable? Responsible? Hmm... that would be troubling if that were true. So I choose not to believe it. Maybe we just need a reminder every now and again to be considerate and do what we say, when we say it.  

Not to preach - I will begin with myself... My word to you for the upcoming year is to be in integrity and by example I hope to spread the "word" ;P

No comments: